THURSDAY, MAY 25, 2017


GLUCKSTADT, Mississippi — Three young Mississippi men were arrested hours after a 6-year-old boy was found shot dead in his mother’s stolen car and the suspects will be charged with capital murder, authorities said.

Madison County District Attorney Michael Guest announced at a news conference Thursday that authorities plan to charge Byron McBride, D’Allen Washington and Dwan Wakefield in the death of the child.

Authorities found Kingston Frazier shot at least once in the back seat of his mother’s stolen car, which Jackson Police Cmdr. Tyree Jones said was abandoned in a muddy ditch about 15 miles (20 kilometers) north of the city.

Frazier had gone missing after 1 a.m. Thursday when a man was seen on video taking the car from the parking lot of a supermarket in Jackson, the state capital, authorities said. About nine hours later, following a child-abduction alert and widespread publicity, a man reported the missing Toyota Camry was beside a dead-end road in the northern suburb of Gluckstadt.

Authorities publicly disclosed the boy’s death Thursday morning while surrounded by grieving family members.

“A 6-year-old is gone,” said Kingston’s cousin, Kolby Irby. “His mother has to deal with this. That’s her baby.”

The three suspects were arrested within hours of the child’s body being found, authorities said, adding video and a witness helped identify them.

Authorities said Washington and Wakefield are both 17. McBride’s age was not immediately released.

In Mississippi, 17-year-olds accused of capital murder are tried as adults. The capital murder charge means prosecutors could seek the death penalty if the three are convicted, Guest said.

The district attorney also said it was possible the charges might change, adding the three are expected to make initial court appearances on Monday.

One lawyer said he is not yet officially representing one of them and declined requests for comment. Guest said the other two do not yet have lawyers.

Authorities did not answer questions at the news conference with reporters, and it’s unclear what role each of the three suspects is alleged to have played.

Wakefield was a quarterback last year at a high school in Madison County, north of Jackson, county Superintendent Ronnie McGehee told The Clarion-Ledger. McGehee also said Wakefield had been dismissed from the team but didn’t elaborate.

The mother, Ebony Archie, left the boy in the car, its engine running, while she went inside the supermarket early Thursday, sheriff’s deputies have said. The store’s parking lot is patrolled by sheriff’s deputies, including one in a golf cart.

Security video shows that after Archie left, another car drove up and a man got out and then drove off in the Camry.

A child abduction alert was played repeatedly on local newscasts and police and family members issued public appeals for help.

The child’s body was taken for an autopsy at the state crime lab and the car was towed away by police as they continue to investigate.


KENSINGTON (WPVI) — A toddler was shot four times after gunmen opened fire on a man sitting on a porch with his son Friday night in the Kensington section of Philadelphia

It occurred after 9:16 p.m. on the 3300 block of Malta Street.

Police say the 26-year-old man was targeted, and his 2-year-old child was caught in the crossfire.

There were barbecues underway and kids were playing outside when the gunshots rang out.

Police say the toddler was struck four times in the back. He was taken to St. Christopher’s Hospital in critical condition.

His father was also shot. He was hit in the right knee and taken to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.

Witnesses say two males were seen fleeing the area on bicycles.

“It makes me want to cry because it’s a baby. It’s not something you want to hear from nobody, that you’re out there just barbecuing or doing whatever else with your kids, just trying to have fun, and then your kid winds up getting hurt,” said Marisol Colon.

So far, there are no arrests.

Residents say there are shootings almost daily, with stray bullets sometimes flying through some of their homes.


Authorities say a man broke into a Delaware home and stole a pair of women’s underwear.
Delaware State Police say two women heard an unusual noise in their house early Friday and barricaded themselves in a bedroom. Police say after someone tried to get in the room, the women escaped out the window.

Police say authorities later found 21-year-old Tyrone Jenkins-Health Jr. walking through a neighbor’s yard in possession of a pair of one of the women’s underwear. Police say Jenkins-Health told investigators he intended to make one or both of the women perform unlawful sexual acts on him.
Police say he faces charges including burglary and attempted rape. There was no number publicly listed for him and it wasn’t immediately clear Saturday whether he has an attorney.


Cops say Thomas’ little girl and little boy were in the house at the time of the murder. According to sources, Moses is the father of the boy.

The exact motive is not yet known but police call it a clear and senseless case of domestic violence and credit neighbors for stepping up with information.

“As we were standing out front, people were walking up to us and saying, ‘I know this.’ Just piece after piece as it was progressing, neighbors coming up before we even knocked on doors. That’s how in 7 and a half hours, we were able to make an arrest in this homicide,” Darby Borough Police Chief Robert Smythe said.
=
DARBY, Pa. (WPVI) — A man has been arrested for the murder of a woman on Friday morning in Darby Borough, Pa.

Edward Moses Jr., 31, has been charged with the crime, police say.

Officers were dispatched to a home in the 100 block of Spring Valley Road around 7:30 a.m. for a report of gunshots.

When they arrived, they found 26-year-old Crystalin Thomas dead.

Police say Moses was the father of Thomas’ child.

There was no word on a motive for this shooting.


SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Police are investigating an accident involving three children and a vehicle in Southwest Philadelphia.

It happened around 6 p.m. Sunday at 60th Street and Kingsessing Avenue.

Police say two girls were hit by a vehicle traveling southbound.

Neighbors who saw the accident quickly went to help. A group of people lifted the car to free one of the girls who was trapped underneath the rear wheels.

“I ran right out to help her and try to lift the car, but i couldn’t lift it myself. That’s when everyone came out and we finally got it up. She just kept telling us she thought she was going to die. We told her you’re not going to die, just breathe,” said witness Frances Jones.

The driver did stop at the scene, and a 5-year-old child in that vehicle was also injured.

All three children were taken to Children’s Hospital.

The victims struck by the car, a 9-year-old girl is in critical condition, and a 10-year-old is stable.

The child in the striking vehicle is also stable.

Police are investigating.


WYNCOTE, Pa. (WPVI) — Video shows a fight that erupted in Cheltenham High School on Wednesday morning, and it ends with a teacher being knocked to the ground, apparently unconscious.

The now-viral video shows the incident that happened around 7:30 a.m.

The video begins with two female students in a confrontation. Within moments, they begin to fight.

Not long after, two more girls can be seen fighting.

The nearly minute-long video shows the violence escalate, with the girls throwing punches and going to the ground.

At one point a teacher intervenes in an apparent attempt to break up the fight.

She was then hit in the head, apparently by accident, and falls to the ground. She remains still and does not move before the video ends. We’ve learned she was sent to the hospital.

The school district’s superintendent sent a letter to parents indicating several teachers were injured during the melee, but there was no information as to the severity of any of those injuries.

Meanwhile, we spoke with several students and parents who say that not only is fighting a lingering problem at Cheltenham High, but there were one or two more fights later Wednesday.

They say that’s in addition to at least a dozen more fights over the past four weeks.

“Around 15 I’d say, but there’s been a lot. I’ve been here four years and it’s just exponentially growing,” said senior Andrew Crosby.

“I’m surprised that it’s never been covered until finally there was video evidence of what’s going on in that building,” said parent Christopher Dean.

Repeated calls to the police and the school district by Action News were not returned.

In a earlier letter to parents, Principal Ray McFall said there was no official lockdown called, but first period was extended while police and school officials dealt the the situation.

The students involved were removed from the school, McFall said. There was no immediate word on any charges.

McFall went on to say there were additional adults in the building to monitor hallways and exterior areas, but the school is now calm and the school day is proceeded as usual.

McFall noted that counselors were available for students who need to talk about the incident.
The letter goes on to say that fighting will not be tolerated.

McFall also had strong words about those who record fights on video, saying “Those who are found to have filmed a fight will meet with swift disciplinary actions.”

“This morning’s incident, is without doubt, a gross violation of our code of conduct and therefor completely unacceptable. I ask that every single parent have a serious conversation at home this evening about student stressors and appropriate management of them; violence is never a viable option,” McFall’s statement reads.
“Students who are experiencing extreme conflict and stress must seek out an adult and deal with it appropriately in a timely manner before the stress erupts into a fight as it did this morning.”